Get your TETON Sports Scout 3400 Backpack at Amazon by clicking here.
If you haven’t already heard of the TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack now is the time for you to take a look. This pack is a steal and comes with Amazon’s 1–2-day shipping time depending on whether you are an Amazon Prime Member or not.
With thousands of reviews and an average 4.7 Star rating, people who care about comfort when hiking with a pack, agree that the TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is the best internal frame backpack and value for money. 79% of all reviewers gave these backpacks a 5 Star rating.
Moreover, the selection of a good hiking backpack is critical if you are planning to hike and campout for a night or more. The right pack will provide a good balance between capacity and weight, ensuring that you have just the right amount of space to carry all the supplies you need without injuring yourself with a heavy load. Finding the right backpack for you can be a challenge as there is no one size fits all for everyone. It depends on various factors, the basic ones being: -
- what type of hike you plan on taking
- what season you are going in and where you intend to go and
- how long your trip is.
Knowing the above will help you estimate how much stuff you have to carry and therefore what size backpack to buy. This gives you a starting point. For instance, if you are going on a hike that will take 3 days or less you will usually need a 55ltr pack or smaller.
Reference Checklist for Best Fit
Once you have established the basics the next thing to look for, is a backpack that fits your body best.
Here is a quick reference check list when choosing a backpack.
- The length of your body’s torso should fall within the range of the pack’s torso specifications.
- The shoulder strap should contour to the back of your shoulders.
- The load lifter straps should come up off the pack at a 45° angle.
- The shoulder strap padding should end 2 or 3 inches below your armpits.
- The hip belt should cover the top of your hip bones.
- The hip belt must support the majority of the pack’s weight.
The TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack has a lot of features that allows you to adjust it to your body shape and needs. Below are a list of its advantages.
- Cheap upfront price
- Lots of different pockets and storage compartments apart from the main compartment
- Mesh pockets on sides for water bottles
- Separate sleeping bag compartment which makes it easy to get to
- Rain cover included which is easy to access when you need it
- Easy Access pouch at top of unit for essentials
- Adjustable ‘spine’ so it can fit different torso lengths
- Fully adjustable hip belt – a few reports stated it was great for slenderer people
- Padded waste belt and mesh padded should pads which helps keep the sweat from being absorbed into the shoulder straps
- Great for older children going from Cubs to Scouts
However, there were also a few negatives.
Firstly, it can’t be taken as hand luggage on a plane. This is probably more something to note as there are few 55 Liter backpacks that are able to be taken on a plane as hand luggage.
Secondly, although the large majority of the reviews (remember the 79% five-star rating mentioned above) gave this pack the thumbs up for quality and sturdiness there were some reports of straps breaking in the first few hours. This facilitated having to return the unit which cost between $10 and $20. This is a quality control issue, and you just don’t want to be the one who gets the pack made on a Monday or Friday.🥰 (Old car buying joke)
Finally, the TETON Sports Scout Backpack is heavier than more costly lightweight alternatives. (It weighs around 5 lbs). It also has no hip pockets on the hip belt which gives you more room for essentials in a handy position.
The TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is a cheaply priced backpack with the trade-off coming in weight not quality. It is a great backpack for older children and adults going on shorter hikes of 3 days or less. If you are concerned about the quality issues mentioned by a few reviewers remember the best thing to do is to check out the backpack thoroughly, immediately you receive it. That includes all the straps, the buckles, toggles and the zips. Also take it for a ‘dry run’ before you tackle a longer hike. There is nothing worse than gear failure when you’re on a remote trail.
Check out the video below to see how the pack performed on an actual hike.
Get your TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack at Amazon by clicking here.
Note any links in this piece of writing are to Amazon.com. Clicking through and purchasing from these links may result in a commission being paid to LoveTheHike.com